The Southwark Street estate was opened in 1876. Originally there were 12 blocks, with 22 flats in each one.
In the 1960s, we demolished two blocks in the centre of the estate as part of a modernisation programme, which created a space for a children’s play area.
In the 1990s a block near the estate boundary was pulled down, and we bought some adjoining land. This meant we could build new blocks with a frontage to Great Guildford Street, which include some shop units.