We bought the site for Dalgarno Gardens in 1932 and its design was provided by architect Victor Wilkins. The lease granted to Peabody by the local authority runs until 2931.
The estate’s 24 blocks were built between 1934 and 1938 for just over £200,000. Despite suffering damage from a landmine in 1940, the estate was relatively fortunate during the devastation of the Second World War.
Like other flats dating from the 1930s, there were no separate bathrooms until the flats were renovated in the 1970s. It was during this time that some pairs of blocks were linked by extending the balconies, meaning that they could use a communal lift. In 1981 Block T was converted to provide sheltered accommodation.