The Nags Head estate was built by the Nags Head Housing Society Ltd between 1933 and 1947. We bought the estate in 1956. At the time, it had 179 flats and four shops.
On 11 July 1960, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother visited the site. As Patron of The London Gardens Society she was touring gardens in the Bethnal Green area, including one at a ground floor flat in Shipton House. The Queen Mother met the tenants John and Nellie Nicholls and their two children. After seeing the garden, she unexpectedly asked to look inside the flat as well.