Rosendale Road consists of a mixture of flats and cottages, built between 1902 and 1908. The community hall which was added in 1913, has since been rebuilt. There was a Jubilee concert in March 1914 to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the first Peabody estate in Spitalfields.
The blocks of flats resemble earlier Peabody estates, except that red brick was used instead of yellow. Block F included a communal bathhouse.
For the final phase of building, a new architect, Victor Wilkins, was selected to design 64 of the cottages. He remained as Peabody’s architect until his retirement in 1948.
In recent years we’ve enhanced outdoor spaces on the estate through the IMPROVE project. This has included improvements to pavements, roadways, lighting, communal spaces, fencing, entrances, drainage and water provision. Bushes and hedges around the estate have also been replaced with a more variable planting scheme and the communal area contains ‘playable’ boulders, timber poles and logs.