In the early 1930s the Westminster Housing Trust (WHT) was set up to build affordable rented flats. The local council helped by providing the site at below market value. Fundraising schemes were started to meet building costs and several members of the Royal family donated money. Famous authors, including H G Wells and A A Milne, also gave signed books and manuscripts to be sold at a charity auction to help raise funds. Queen Mary contributed pieces of lace, a Chinese box, a set of decanters and a miniature dinner service.
The Duke of Kent (the present Duke's father) opened the first seven blocks in 1935. They were the first working class flats in London to have self-operated electric lifts. Two years later the Duke's wife opened the social centre.
The Second World War delayed plans to build more blocks, but in 1949 Queen Elizabeth, later the Queen Mother, opened Malcolmson House. Princess Margaret visited the estate in 1953 to mark the completion of building work, which included a nursery school.
In 1972, WHT transferred Tachbrook to Peabody. Some tenants still remember Miss Wright, who was secretary to WHT for many years. After her death, the Trust received her collection of photos of Tachbrook. These include pictures of construction work, the builders, royal visits, as well as the parties held by tenants to celebrate King George V's Silver Jubilee and Queen Elizabeth II’s Coronation.